9.17.2008

Miss Navajo: Reconceptualizing Native American Beauty

Cross-posted from The Blog and the Bullet.

Renee blogs:
Yolanda Charley, recently won the title of Miss. Navajo Nation. I am normally against beauty contests, as I see them as nothing more than the performance of femininity for the male gaze. The Miss Navajo Nation is like no other pageant I have ever come across.

...

What I love about this contest is that it is more than women parading around with fake smiles, with their bathing suits taped to their skin, to avoid being swallowed by their asses. Miss Navajo is about celebration, and the perpetuation of culture.

3 comments:

sara said...

Oh what a beautiful piece of news to read! I never knew of this, thank you. The picture of Miss Navajo made me smile! Right on. Perpetuate!

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hey there!

I have been reading about this in the blogosphere for the past few days and that is AWESOME!!

By the way, I received the "CERTIFIED HONEST BLOGGER" Award and have passed it on to your blog!! I announced it at my blog yesterday but my blog is "invite-only" at the moment so I would have to get your email address to give you access!

Feel free to email me:
blackwomenblowthetrumpet@hotmail.com

CONGRATULATIONS on the award!

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

Unknown said...

I do like the concept of the Native American beauty contests, aside from the slaughtering sheep part, but to me it is better than a bathing suit competition. I am still a bit sour over the outrage and backlash that was given by many native americans when Radmilla Cody became Miss Navajo a while back. Many native americans were upset she is half native and half black, and felt she should have been considered black and shouldn't be considered native american.