1.12.2009

Late Night Thoughts: Tracy Morgan's 'Post-Racial America'

Here are my two-cents on the recent remarks by not-so-talented Tracy Morgan:

1) Cate Blanchett is Australian. Are you drunk again, mister? Just kidding.

2) There is no such thing as a "post-racial America," nor could there be a face of such an America if it were post-racial.

If you're wondering what on Earth I'm talking about, this all has to do with the Golden Globes ceremony on Sunday. The one where Tracy Morgan accepts the award for the people of 30 Rock (because Barack Obama won the presidency) and oh so humbly assumes the poster-boy role of a new era: post-racial America.

Here's what he said:
"Welcome to post-racial America! I am the face of post-racial America. Deal with it, Cate Blanchett! We'd like to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press ... especially me, 'cause a black man can't get no love at the Emmys. I love you, Europe! That's what's up!"
So apparently Tracy Morgan now represents all the ethnicities and minorities that once divided America...does that even make any sense? Sounds like gibberish to me.

Look, you can try to argue your case for what a post-racial America means, but I cannot accept it. I mean come on, how can you be the face of something post-racial? What would that even look like?



...I know, oldest joke in the book.
blog comments powered by Disqus